Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Sharing My "DIRTY" Little Secret!

It's Tuesday... Hubby is at work, (he is off on Monday's), boys at work.... It's just me and Knuckles and right now you would find him in Steven's bed!
So I thought I would do a quick post...tell everyone what I have been up to... and share my "dirty" little secret... come on in and see my MESS!  YUP!  going to share some of it...
After I put my sewing machine away around the 21st of December and put myself on "vacation", I thought I would get SOOOO much done!  YEAH, RIGHT!  Between having hubby home recovering from his surgery, that has gone very well by the way...the Holiday's, then taking everything down... Nothing I planned for got done...sigh... except for the three new gals finished up and listed on early works....

I wanted to clean out my pie safes, I have 2.  That did get done... cleaned, oiled and some thinning of collections I no longer wish to collect as my taste is oh so more prim.....
See since about late October I have been TRYING oh so hard to thin, clean, and de-clutter!  For me this is VERY HARD!  I love the simple prim look so many have, I just can't do it... I always move towards more of a cluttered look...sigh...just me...As I keep finding goodies I can't pass up... sigh...and love my "'stuff", what to part with is soo hard...BUT, I am trying to say "I don't need that"... Very hard for me, especially if I think it's at a good price... Though this weekend I went antiquing with my gal pal Cindy, we went to our favorite antique shop in Sandwich, I left without buying a thing!  I did it!!!  
So back to my story, I have lots of fabric, shocking right?  LOL... It's in piles here, there, everywhere... In my effort to clean things up... I wanted a small cabinet to hide a good part, well really small part of my fabric behind a door... So I have been saving a few pennies... and on the hunt I have gone... Now I have a very small space I felt this could work in... so this was no easy task.  I have found many wonderful cabinets... all to big...sigh....
So then this weekend I had a thought.... ugh... never good... well first I found a most wonderful small step back cupboard... OH I WANT! Again, 2 pie safes, a baker's cabinet, family heirloom cabinet.. all in our small home, I am full... and I love these pieces, so nothing can leave to make room... Oh how I tried though..... I measured... moved things... nope just not going to work, especially if I am trying so hard to clean things up and look less cluttered... So with that being said, no step back for me no matter how heart broken I am...
So everything here is all messed up... moved around  I have a mess, yet again....so come on in and see the progress or lack there of I am making... With my back, I have to wait until my boys come home to move heavy things around...but I have started in a direction I am liking....
 I have this adorable little dry sink... it's down in our family/gathering room... I had it up in my kitchen while this room was ripped apart being remodeled... I really liked it up there... but bought it for down here so moved it down here once we finished just over 2 years ago....Then as I say, the "rat" gets on the wheel, and things are moving around here.... So dry sink moved yesterday
 And my little farm table and chair down in it's place... love the look.. Time will tell if it works... see all of Knuckles toys (he's not spoiled at all!) this his little area, and his dog bed is usually right there too... so if he bumps it to much and knocks things over, I might have to re-think this a bit... See my little saw buck table? Love it... Great find it's a salesmen sample...
 Still needs some work... Just tossed together... Ms. Joey, our niece is going to love playing here... She loves that telephone!
Then... I did this just a little while back, stacked my old prim boxes.... nope all moved and the top one is probably going up for sale....

 So this is a mess! yikes, this girl has fabric!  I have a hoarding issue for sure.  I find great fabric then don't want to use it, afraid I won't find something as good!  Must get over this!  Too much money going to waste not use!  So I have "grounded" myself from buying fabric for a while, until some of this gets used up!
 OK, out of order and I don't know how to move pictures around...ugh, with the problems of uploading pictures on blogger lately... this is happening every time, uploading out of order...  My fake fireplace front... Simply with crocks, a light and the old milk can that hubby's family used on the farm in Albany, WI to bring in milk each day...I have gotten some black fabric to put in the opening... I should do that today...hmmm...
 OK, here I am trying to organize and put the fabric in nicely... I wonder how long it will stay this way.....
 UGH... again... wall with the dry sink still in it's old home... and all of knuckles toys... This room we live in the most...
 Now the dry sink moved back up into the kitchen dining area...( This is where the Jelly cabinet with the fabric was...)we added this on little over 3 years ago.  It's  only 10x10 but what a difference it made in our tiny tiny eating area of the kitchen we had....I will show you the old eating area another time... it's a mess too right now... image that?  I am thinking now I "need" a little wall cabinet to go above the dry sink..hehe... need to go looking again... darn!
SO, I still need to oil this up, I will do that today.. and put everything back.  Then go through everything hiding behind the door...yup more thinning... So what does that mean?  I am thinking I might be offer a wee bit of a sale of OLM goodies on my selling blog, hopefully sometime this week... I will keep you posted...

Then lastly what happens when everything gets moved around and loses it's place?
This happens!  Moving things around, displaced... no place for things to go... yes I have made a mess... hopefully a good mess, I will keep you posted on my process.. Then knowing me, once I get things "thinned a bit"  I will clutter it up all over again, and then I will have to start all over again... OLM
PS... in the end there was nothing quick about this post!

18 comments:

frontporchprims said...

Pull your sewing machine back out and do that instead:) Ha ha. I know how you feel. I could have my whole house ripped apart trying to rearrange things. Soon, the place looks like we've been robbed:) It'll get there.....better than before.....maybe by spring time. You have a lot of fun things to work with. All we have are corner spaces in this house. Go figure, I know a man designed the plans. Try finding a lovely corner pie safe, or a corner hutch, or a corner dry sink. Ugh. Good luck. -Steph-

jennifer768 said...

Marie you are making a lot more progress than I am.LOL! You sure have lots of wonderful things,it would be hard to part with them.I am waiting till the kids move( hopefully this Spring) and then it will be my turn to get rid of clutter.By the way,I think Gretchen has more toys than Knuckles.LOL!Hugs,Jen

Janet-Olde Crow Primitives said...

Boy, you sound so much like me! Maybe we should all have a clutter swap :)
Janet

Holly Hills Primitives said...

This must be moving week - we changed everything up yesterday and it was a mess too. Now I've just got to finish up the bedroom - but it sure feels great!

Shuttle, Hook and Needle said...

Moving and rearranging is like domino's... Once you start it snowballs and one thing leads to another. I changed a lot of things around after Christmas. I have to live with changes for a while before I know how to fix all of the mess I made!
Good Luck!
Louise

Penny said...

It has been so good for me to read this post, Marie, from you and all the previous commenters.... We are indeed kindred spirits, and it gives both my sister and myself a bit of relief to know that we are not alone! We don't anyone else who rearranges as much as we do (we always blame my mom for those "rearranging genes!"), but now I know that there are many of us who have "messes" everywhere... We refer to it as our hobby, especially when our respective families start to complain..... We say you have your hobbies and we have our's.... LOL.
You have great items and I know that you are having fun putting your treasures in just the right places!
Penny

Primitive Stars said...

Oh Marie, you make me smile.....love the dry sink, I will find room for it, tee hee......I try the change things around but never fails, goes right back to how things were, oh bother.......Blessings Francine.

bettyj said...

What is it about people in small houses who like big cupboards!I think there is definitely a name for it.I like your rearranging, and oh that little sawbuck! I want a large one so bad. Found one at Ginny Currys almost passed out from sticker shock! Like what you did.

Trace4J said...

I am decluttering too.
Too much stuff.
But I cant part with fabric ,wool or my buttons.
Love switching things around but not the mess I always make.
Woolie Hugs
Trace

love love the drysink

Farmhouse prims said...

Hi Marie, I really need to declutter, but seems like I stay busy rearranging my piles of clutter. hugs, Lecia

Prims By The Water said...

Are you sure this post was not about me Marie. LOL OMG, I keep buying cupboards and putting fabric in each...I thought I was the only fabric hoarder out there. Thank god I found out I am not the only one. ;0) Love your little dry sink and that sampler sawbuck table. Good luck re-arranging. Janice

Primsue said...

I really like the changes you are making. But changing things around does seem to have the domino effect, doesn't it?
Have a blessed week,
Sue

Cindi said...

Oh goodness your place looks better than my place. I rearranged my living room on Sunday then got to not feeling so good again and the big stuff is moved but the rest is laying in piles! I am not brave enough to show a picture. So far I love what you have done.
Be blessed,
Cindi

primlin56 said...

i love moving my pieces from room to room.....it makes me feel like i have a new place....redo's are my most favorite thing to do....you are doing great....it all takes time...i have been redoing my place for two years now...2013 is my third year and i am still not done...lol...

Theresa said...

My all time favourite prim homes are the ones stuffed full of goodies. Your home is wonderful. The "simple" a.k.a boring prim homes look good in magazines but would be depressing to live in.

The beauty of being human is that we are not all clones of each other and need not apologize for liking to have full cozy homes. Now if your home could qualify for a spot on A&E then that is a whole different story.

Love the pics of your home.

Becki said...

Oh my! Sometimes when moving things around you gain a new perspective on a cherished object. It certainly is hard to find a place for everything, but those jelly cabinets certainly fit the bill! Love your pics!

Blessings ~ Becki

Hillcresthome Prims said...

Marie, I love your dry sink and you have 2 pie safe's LUCKY YOU! I don't even have one. Not yet anyway!
You should see my office. I will clean it and throw things out and then it is cluttered again with things. Every closet in our home is full. My hubby one day said I am scared that I open this door everyhting in there is going to fall out, LOL!
That is the TRUTH! I just don't have room anymore. I really need to take a week and throw things out and then bags go to the goodwill.


I love your prim displays. You really gave me some GREAT ideas.

Big Hugs to you my friend,
Tricia XO

Beckyjean said...

Love the changes you've made Marie!! I'm starting to pack up here & am a little overwhelmed with all the stuff I have. Want to thin out, but hauling it all. Not sure how I'll set up the new house. Tim is already shaking his head at all the boxes. LOL!!

Have a good weekend~Becky