Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Merriment Day --8 THE Elves Are Coming?

So I have a little story for ya... Many years ago I had alittle shop.  I was one of 35 shops under one roof.  The boys were small... say 5 & 7 give or take at the time.  I only had to work one day a week.  We all took turns covering the whole shop.... So, one day a week I needed someone to watch the boys after school.  My GF Cindy said she would as the boys were all good friends, so it worked out great...With me? wondering where this is going????
So the first year they are decorated for Christmas the boys are all there and Eric goes right for their tree and opens this little mailbox... In there is a piece or 2 of candy from the elves, if he has been good that day! SIGH... LOL.... Eric tells them how the "elves" have been here because he has been good!
Steven as the story goes, being his so called adorable self...LOL... says to Ms. Cindy will you make one for me and Alex so the elves can visit us???
OF COURSE!  So as I pick the boys up that night I am told of these mail boxes and quietly how I need to go get candy to keep them filled each day if they are good.... OK.....Now when they are little and you see the EXCITEMENT for these mail boxes of course one does it!.....
Here is where the problem goes with these darn mail boxes! LOL!... As they get into High School... Every year I forget about them, until they come out and the boys get excited!  Now, yes, I am thrilled that they still get excited!  If you ask the boys, YES they BELIEVE!!!  very important in this house... ANYWAY... the annoying part is that Eric, Cindy's son has all but forgotten about the mail box by HS... or she forgets to put candy in it... So every year I give her a nasty call...This year a nasty text as the tree went up on thanksgiving and out came the mailboxes and at 22 & 24 I was told I BETTER NOT SLACK ON THE MAILBOXES! LOL
So Yesterday, I wanted to get a picture of the tree all light up at dusk for a later post, but who do I catch "checking" his mailbox? Alex.....
Now, truly I am not complaining... I am blessed that they still want to play along... HEHE... they don't remember to check everyday... Though Steven checks more then Alex... So there you have it, a little merriment each day for Alex and Steven.... OLM

16 comments:

Kate said...

I so enjoyed your mailbox story ... such a swell idea. It's wonderful that you still hang up the mailboxes on your tree.

1890* said...

Awe!..a sweet story Marie!..fun idea!
Thanks for sharing !
{{HUGS}}

Primlish ♥ said...

I LOVE how they still want to do it! I really think it takes a special guy/guys to keep up traditions.
I love it, now I want one for Scott! ;)

jennifer768 said...

What a fun story!I love it that they are still checking them.It is a wonderful tradition.Hugs,Jen

bettyj said...

Marie, that made me teary! What a wonderful idea and I am going to share that with Amanda.Love it! A tradition handed down most likely. And that is how they all begin.

frontporchprims said...

Ah, this is great!!! This has been my favorite by far:) So fun. What a cute idea. -Steph-

Raymond Homestead said...

So sweet!

BumbleBeeLane said...

Omg Marie! You mean you aren't really a elf? I always expect chocolate in my mailbox from you to..LoL..Cute that your boys still want to have fun.Hugs!~Amy

Beckyjean said...

What a wonderful tradition Marie. Love that the boys still play along.

Hugs~Becky

Prims By The Water said...

Loved your mailbox story Marie. Too cute and what a wonderful tradition! janice

Trace4J said...

Love love love that story, but I think you need a mailbox for Granny T filled with hershey candy cane kisses :)
Love the photo too.
Woolie Hugs
Trace


www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

TheCrankyCrow said...

Awwwww....absolutely PERFECT post Missy Marie!! I LOVE it!! And that photo of Alex by the tree "checking" his mailbox is the creme de la creme!! I was so disappointed when Little Crow no longer wanted a tree in his room.... Boo Hoo...That was where Santa's reindeer always left a "special" little gift for him. Ahhh...the non-believers!! :o Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

Primsue said...

What a sweet tradition and how neat that your boys still enjoy that tradition.

Theresa said...

Lol....I love it!!!! I even like the fact that the boys still play along but then again guys do think with their tummy

Cindi said...

Don't you just love it when the older "kids" still want to hold on to traditions. Goes to show how much they really mean. Thanks for sharing
Be blessed,
Cindi

Josh Carman said...

My eldest son has it on his tree and he still has the original coins from years ago in it. Such fun!