Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Tuesday Display Chain,"Crafting Secret Exposed!"

First I want to thank everyone for so many wonderful and kind comments on my last post and Prims Magazine.... I am in awe looking at it last night, I must admit, it is really cool to see one's work in a Magazine and know that it's going to be out on the new stands... Thank YOU!!!

So onto Tuesday display chain!!!  Yeah to Misi for keeping this going.  I do loving seeing what everyone does week to week...  So this week's theme, a crafting secret exposed, or decorating secret... YIKES!  I don't know if I have any really good secrets....But here is what I have come up with....
First... I am going to share something I learned in college in photography classes....Now by no means do I take great pictures, but I always loved photography and I took in H.S and College.... But this one little tip has stuck with me.... I don't crop my pictures... In classes when we were developing our film, you could crop out the stuff you didn't want in the photo...BUT, in college, we were NOT allowed to crop...We were taught to look at everything going into the picture before we took it, and adjust at the point of shoot...I still do this to this day...It's not easy....doesn't always work, but many times it truly makes for a better end result picture....

 Now for my "silly" tips.... I have LOTS of pins in my pin keep... as I am sure everyone does.... Early on in stitching and crafting I was always changing out the floss on my needle...such a pain.... Now, I just pick up another needle add the new color... and keep those colors in the needles... So many times when I just need a quick color change, it's already sitting in my needle... Now, I am sure this is no secret!!!  It just took me a LONG time to figure it out!!!! LOL!
 My grungy mixture.....Again no secret here... BUT here is a couple of things I have learned over the years... Aldi food's if you have them by you are the cheapest!!!  $4 buck a jar, that beats Walmat by over a buck!  So I recently stocked up!  This should keep me for a bit!!!! Now the one compliment I get all the time on my creations, is how good the smell when the go to their new homes..... Again no real secret here... But, I use LOTS of instant coffee, Cheap cinnamon, imitation vanilla, and a couple of cinnamon sticks....So my secret...that cinnamon stick... leave it in there... for many uses...
 Having too much of everything! LOL!!!... Now not everyone can do this... But I like to have many different fabrics and such on hand... I hate running out last minute to get something I don't have... Not that, it doesn't happen... but I try to keep it to the minim.... BUT... I have acquired LOTS of buttons, CHEAP... Here they are waiting for when I might need them... AND, what I didn't show you is 3 large basket's full of fabric... just waiting... I really have a problem... I think creating is more of a disease....LOL.... So much crap just laying around this homestead...Then sometimes, I hate to use those "good" fabrics....UGH... for fear I won't find something as good again, BUT I am getting over it... It's too much of a waste of money!!! And my customers deserve those "good" fabrics!!!!!
 Now lastly, I really don't have any decorating secrets.... I just like what I like.... But I wanted to show you this new lamp.... Saw Linda from behind my red door showing one off.... Sent me right to http://www.winterwillowprimitives.com/... and YES, I bought one!!! love it!!! but it's on a timer... so it hasn't kicked on yet... and I was lazy to go under the cabinet to do it, sorry........
Then Lastly....HEHEHE... Remember back in January the "QUEEN" came for a visit... She came down on the Amtrak... we did a bit of shopping... shocking right?  BUT, she had to leave a couple of things here...LOL... Like this wonderful crow... AND, from time to time, this crow has shown up in my posts.... HEHE... I am thinking of keeping him, he is wonderful and BIG!!!!  But, this one is for the "QUEEN"  inside joke here a bit... "QUEEN" your crow has laid many, many EGGS!!!! Today!!!! HEHEHE!!! Love ya!!!! So there you have my 2cents on my creating!  Off to visit everyone elses tips!!!  I am sure I will be adding a few more "secrets" to my creating! OLM

20 comments:

Christine said...

Love your post - congratulations on being published in Prims!
Thanks for the photography tip as I'm always looking for ways to improve my photos! And I know the 'pain' of cutting into 'good' fabric!
Thanks
Christine

Trace4J said...

Hey I know you! hehe
You go girl!
I would be so happy and proud.
Love all your tips and tricks.
Your dolls always smell like heaven. Now I know your secret :)
Wow that crow has laid LOTS of eggs.
Hugs Trace

www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

frontporchprims said...

Now I know why Virginia smells so good all the time:) Thanks for the idea on the cinnamon sticks. It's a privilege to have some tips from someone who is so good at what they do. This is how I learn. Thanks. Your lamp is really neat. I like that it is on a timer. How clever. -Steph-

BumbleBeeLane said...

Great secrets but I gotta say girl I was expecting juicy gossip from you..smile...Hugs!~Amy

Jan - Life on Buttermilk Hill said...

I used to sew a lot of dolls too--used to use your same tip about the threaded needles--would be MORE valuable now that my eyes seemed to have aged a bit!! :) Thanks for the tip on the grungy mixture--mine was a bit weaker than yours.--Jan

Traci said...

We must create on a similar wave length, I use Aldi's coffee and always have about 20 needles in my pin cushion, LOL... Most of which are bent..

TFS your tips with us.. Hugs & Congrats on Prims publishing, Traci

Deppen homestead 1862 said...

Hi, Marie~
Well, Sweetie Congrats on the Magazine!!!You deserve it Love your dolls~ and your mix of smelly stuff for the dolls does work I love the way the smell just perfect prim aroma fills the room~
Pretty lamp~ and thanks for all the SECRETS!!
smiles
Teresa

Robyn ♥ said...

Thanks for sharing those tips!!
Oh, I just LOVE your new lamp! A timer is a good idea! I either have to switch all of mine on...and let me tell you, I have a lot of little lamps around...or I just leave mine on all the time! Not very green am I? ;)

dee begg said...

Marie,

Thanks for the photography tip. Taking good pictures takes lots of work. I occasionally don't crop pictures more out of rushing than anything else but of course they are never checked for how they looked when I was taking them as the first thought...more again like, hurry up and get it shot as there are a hundred other things that need to be done.

Have a great day.

D

Unknown said...

OMG ~ I thought the crow was a "HE" ~ where did all those "eggs" come from!!! That crow better be "migrating" soon ~ or I will have to buy another Amtrak ticket!! The crafting tips were ok ~ but then, I am not a crafter ~~ more like a "junk picker"!! Love from the North, Queen.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Fun post Missy Marie - I often wondered what made your dollies smell so awesome (and seems on of my kittehs is addicted as well - she has claimed Joyce as her BFF....) ;o) Think I'll be sitting this week's chain out....too many issues going on in my dysfunctional world at this point..... Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

TheCrankyCrow said...

PS - Can I have one of the hatchling crows? ;o) r

Prims By The Water said...

Thanks for the great tips Marie. Love the crow story. How fun! Take care, Janice

Mary said...

Hi Marie..Congratulations on Prims!!
I just recently started using different needles with different threads too but for some reason I always go back to my favorite bent needle..crazy I know. Aldi coffee is the best for crafting! Thanks for all the tips! Mary

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

Thanks OLM for all the wonderful tips!!! I'll have to go check out the Aldis for the coffee!!!
Congratulations again for making it into the Prims Magazine!!!
Prim Blessings
Robin

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

I love all your tips!! I'm going to go stock up on a few things!!

Beckyjean said...

Never thought to use cinnamon sticks in my mixture. I'll have to try that. Was wondering why Henry smelled so good!! Better that than the funky wet fur smell we usually think of when animals are around. Maybe I should use it on my Zoey dog. Hehe!!

Have a great day~Becky

Lee Hill Primitives said...

Thanks for sharing your secrets. Congratulations for the magazine and LOOOOOOOVEEEEEEE your new lamp.

Allison said...

Thanks for the needle secret, I think I need to go buy at least 8 packs of needles because I'm lucky to find one when I need it--I don't know where they go.
I also have been making my own vanilla and being stingy with it so I need to break down and buy the imitation vanilla.

Farmhouse prims said...

Hi Marie, thank you for all of the wonderful tips. I love learning new things. Hugs, Lecia