Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Tuesday Display Chain.... Mary Mary, How Does Your Garden Grow!?!?!?!?

Oh my.... it's a sad Tuesday... Though I totally understand.... So this our last Tuesday Display Chain, Misi has been a most wonderful hostess and generous gift giver with the display chain too!  Thank you Misi!!!!....

I took a couple of pictures of my barren gardens yesterday...Not sure which way I wanted to go with my pictures... Then the day got away from me and I wasn't sure I was going to do a post at all....But then I became inspired from some of the blogs I have been able to visit so far......

So first... here is a few pictures I took yesterday...

Geraniums in a wonderful basket from Pam at basketsnprim to greet you as you come into the OLM homestead....
But outside... Now our March was above normal... 9 days at 80+ degrees... It caused so much to start coming up early...Now April...below normal and frosty....YIKES!....

But... my bleeding hearts are up...small this year...

Tulips up here and there....
Arbor on the side of the house... I thought I would show you what has been "growing" out of the top all winter... wine and beer bottles...mmm... I wonder who put them there???  Probably some our great neighbors, and yes, we really have wonderful neighbors!!!!  Though... the blue bottles in the background are mine.....it's my bottle tree....It was just awful having to drink all that wine to get the bottles! LOL

So this bring me back to that light bulb for my post....Now I must admit I am kind a stealing this part from Robyn at Primlish...Please forgive me???  Loved your post on buying your home, seeing it's potential!!!  I really had forgotten that just over 19 years ago... we pulled up in what is now our driveway... Hubby is like I really want this house... I am crying NO PLEASE!!! It's the house that was pink and pea green when I was a teenager.... UGH!.. Now it's pea green, dark brown and mustard yellow... just as ugly....BUT, it was 2 blocks from the grade school for the boys... nice yard and a park 5 houses down....And at some point I could probably be able to quite work and stay at home with the boys, a very big bonus!
No real landscaping... 5 trees set up in the yard like the #5 on a dice... ick... dreams and plans... so we buy this house and made it a home.....


So here is what I could find ina pinch... after we painted the siding from that ugly green... even here is a mix up on colors for the eve's that didn't stay either, it went to hunter green for a time....  I believe that is Alex on the porch, probably 5 or 6... To think he's 24 now...AND the start of a center flower bed... Hubby never wanted that flower bed...LOL.. It will be a "pain" to mow around... OK, whatever...HEHE... I am young & I had a good back at the time.... He's in the military....leaves for his 2 weeks...T.D.Y.... I don't think he was gone 4 hours & I was tearing up the yard!  So when he came home to this...OOPS... I guess it stays! We laugh now, since it's gotten bigger over the years and such a focal point to the whole yard.....Though really what a ugly yard in those days!

To this... Yikes, what a difference 19 years and lots of work... Do you see Knuckle's out there posing? Or really just scratching...This year, paver bricks around the flower beds and new mulch...Thanks for going down on memory lane gardening trip with me!  AND Thanks to Robyn for giving me the idea, or that I really stole yours....Thanks Misi for all the work that went into keeping the chain going for all this time, and to Traci for the gift to a lucky winner!  Happy Spring everyone! OLM

22 comments:

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

You did such a good job it looks beautiful!! Loved all your pics!!

earlene said...

That was so cool to see the time warp! You have done alot and I enjoyed your story!
Earlene

Sheila said...

What fun post!
RED geraniums have always been my absolute favorite!
Live or fake I have to have them around ;-)

We bought our little house 23 years ago. I about died when we drove up with the Realtor and it was "salmon pink" with gray trim!!!!!! Oh man, I didn't want to look at it but the inside was all re-done and the price was in our budget. I told my hubby I HATE PINK HOUSES!!! There is a place for pink, just not on a house. The Realtor had the owner paint it before we signed papers. LOL and your hubby sounds like mine. That center garden thing, "will be a pain to mow around" same words mine tells me-only mine didn't leave town so I could get it done!
Your home looks as nice on the outside as you show pics of the inside. Shows lots of love lives there.

Take care~
Sheila

Traci said...

Hi Marie...What a great transformation, looks so different now! And that basket of red geraniums pulled me right in, LOL.. Thanks for joining in today.. Hugs, Traci

Oh geesh I almost forgot to mention, I LOVE the "bottle garden art" on the arbor, hehe..bottoms up!

A Primitive Homestead said...

Looking back we can see how much TLC has been put into making your home & garden bed. I love your story. What could the hubby say after you did all the work. I heard the same thing. Well the rocks in my garden were put there after the hubby mowed over flowers. Blessings!
Lara

alltheseboys said...

Love it...my first home I almost cried when my ex wanted me to go look at too. Id babysat just a few doors down...and this was the "naughty kid" house! I walked in and fell in love! Katie

alltheseboys said...

Love it...my first home I almost cried when my ex wanted me to go look at too. Id babysat just a few doors down...and this was the "naughty kid" house! I walked in and fell in love! Katie

frontporchprims said...

The house looks great. I love the stone you put on it and the shutters and siding and new windows and landscaping is wonderful. I never wanted to stay in a house for a long period of time. I like to move. (Crazy, I know) But, now I see what a wonderful thing it can be to build such wonderful memories, make something your own, and have a place the kids can be rooted in. 19 years seems like a long time to me, but after seeing your post, it's something I feel I want. I just better go find my dream house to move into first:) -Steph-

A Primitive Place ~ Tammy said...

Wonderful post.
I especially loved the time warp photos of your home.
Hugs,
Tam

nancy huggins said...

Looks awesome Marie..You did a good job. Maybe when we get back up where we belong I will do the flower beds again. Thanks for the tour :)

Robyn ♥ said...

Oh Marie, I am so glad you were inspired by my post! I just love before and afters and let me tell you, your after is GORGEOUS!! I love the stone in place of the brick and your flower garden is awesome! I cracked up how your hubby wasn't gone 4 hours and you were ripping it apart...sounds just like me!!! So happy you joined in!!!

~Sara said...

What a great post! Owning a house is a lot of hard work. You have done an amazing job at making it a home. Thanks for sharing with us. Blessings ~Sara

Christine said...

So glad you joined in and shared wonderful pictures of your home and garden - the arbor would make anyone smile and want to go on in!!
You've really transformed your home into a special place to live.
Best wishes
Christine

Misi said...

I was hoping to see old pics of that infamous "Gourd Tree"...but omgosh leave it to you to make me giggle even more..Yup ya did it again Marie!...A Wine Tree!!!. I have seen the bottle trees in gardens, but yours has so many more slots! a whole arbor! *LOVE*
Awesome transformation through the years.. love your colors and gardens..My fave is that black beauty out front {{HUGS To Knuckles}}
Thanks for the all giggles *Love ya OLM!

Trace4J said...

First I love geraniums.
My gram grew them all year long.
She put them in her bedroom in the winter. :)
But I love the memory lane garden.
Reminds me of the second home my hubs and I bought. It was bad it had been a rental. Now it was my fav house. Love Knuckles posing in front of his pretty home.
Hugs
Trace

www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

Farmhouse prims said...

Hi Marie, those gernaniums look lovely in your basket, they are one of my favorite flowers. Love all you photo's. Your house is lovely, sure did a wonderful makeover.hugs, Lecia

Karen/My Colonial Home said...

Hi Marie!
Love your display chain participation and the before and after of your home...what a great change.
Had similar feelings when we bought our home 33 years ago...I cried for days! lol

Karen

Deppen homestead 1862 said...

OLM~ Wonderful landscaping at your home~ isn't it fun looking back & seeing what we have done~ Beautiful post~
smiles
Teresa

Mary said...

Wow Marie...what a great before and after..I love your arbor!! My neighbors put wine bottles as edging but I might have to show them your idea...LOL...Mary

BumbleBeeLane said...

Yes home is really what you make of it.Your yard really came along way over the years.Love bottle trees but never seen a wine arbor.LoL..Warm Blessings!~Amy

Cindi said...

Glad you decided to join in, I loved your post. Thanks for sharing. I am now a new follower. Have a great day.
Be blessed,
Cindi

Kimberly said...

Great job!!! Lucky you to have beautiful flowers now! Thank you for sharing :) Enjoy your day! My Best ~Kimberly