Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Story of Knuckles.....but before him there was....

It seems lately I have been posting about our loveable Knuckles. Several of my blogging buddies have asked a few questions... I was going to email each of you... Then I thought I would tell the story of Knuckles. How I said no to adopting him the first time and how his name came to be.....

But before Knuckles, there was Moose. Moose was a great dog. Loved to play, but wasn't playful. He didn't like toys, but loved french fries... We took Moose in when my brother wasn't able to care for him. Now Hubby and I both always had dogs growing up, but since we were married, we never had a dog together. We brought Moose home, never had to fence the yard. Walked him around the yard once, he always stay, until he got sick... I did not realize what a great companion Moose was until he was gone..sigh..... Now all the time we had Moose, 10 years, I said he was the one and only.. No more dogs after him. The boys were in HS... going to college... no more..... Moose died of lung cancer... he was a Keeshound, he was a great dog!!!!! So about 6 months after Moose pasted, Hubby was getting ready to go out of town for work.... I was feeling a bit lonely. Alex was away at his first year in college... Steven was campaigning VERY hard for another dog.

Now I felt very strongly, IF we were to get another dog, I wanted to rescue him.. Now this is not for everyone. It's hard, you usually don't know the dogs background..etc.... Well, I made the mistake of looking at the local shelter's website... Oh ya, if we got another dog, I wanted a Lab. Had one as a child, he was mine. I so loved Black Dog... yes, my black lab's name was Black Dog....LOL....

SO on the site was a Black Lab, named Knuckles... They said he was to be a year to year and half... full of energy.... Steven and I went to look, first mistake... not really... BUT, Hubby is out of town... he needs to be there, before we can adopt... & they want me to bring Alex home from school too... Well, that's not happening....I have to think about it... AND I am NOT liking the name Knuckles.... I want Seger, after Bob Seger....so I want to re-name him.....

Steven comes home from school the next day, poor guy thinking we are getting a dog... I said NO...sigh... not ready, it's the end of January, dad's gone... Let's wait to Spring..... Hubby comes home 2 weeks later... First words out of Steven's mouth??? "Can we get a dog today"???? I want Knuckles... Now I can't image that he is still there.. He's a purebred Labrador. I believe a English Lab, since he's on the small size.... Hubby says what harm is there to go look??? YA RIGHT, we will come home with him.....

Off to the shelter we go... JUST TO LOOK!.. Knuckles is still there... Now the name is growing on me... The girl that showed us him 2 weeks ago sees us & gets so excited that we are here to see him again. She brings him out... he's such a goof! Really a Knucklehead!!! I look at her and ask "who's been here to look at him?" No one since you, he hasn't been out of his cage in days, and he's been in the shelter for 2 1/2 months, WE WILL TAKE HIM!!!!! So that is how Knuckles came to live with us....

I have a sign hanging above our front door that says "saving one dog will not save the world, but surely for that one dog, his world will be forever changed." no truer words were ever spoken.

Here he is shortly after he came to use, just over 3 years ago. Since we don't know his birth day, it's the day he came home, Feb. 9th.....

Again, rescuing is not for everyone... What a difficult adjustment for him.. After being in the shelter for so long, he became a runner! UGH! We needed a fence. Dog training, he flunked, mine of his own... again, such a Knucklehead... Stole socks and underwear... oh my.... would go into garbage cans for about 6 months... Didn't like to be left alone... Had to bring him out of his cage within about a week.. After 2 months in the shelter, that was a no brainier, but we had to re-housebreak... And he was sick when we got him. BUT after all of that, he was meant to be ours. The boys LOVE him, well we all do.... HE plays and plays... One of the boys walk in the door after work, he runs right for the toys...LOL... I come home from shopping, he sticks his face in every bag, looking and hoping there is a toy! He is one spoiled dog. We have thought of getting another... Even brought in a yellow lab 2 year ago. BUT, the one thing Knuckles is not is a alfa-dog. As by my stories, everyone can bet up on him and he takes it. No worries, we don't let it ever go to far. He loves all dogs, he just doesn't know how to put another dog in its place.... I feel he deserves to be the king of his castle, so no others.... Wow.. so much more long winded then I meant to be...

So the name Knuckles so suits him, but it came from the shelter, so we can't even take credit for it...I don't know what it is about lab, but they are lovers, just great dogs!!!!

Knuckles needs to be close to someone, always... tucked right against hubby as he was trying to put up the Christmas 2 years ago... yes, in the kitchen.. that was the year of remodeling, only space open.....




curled up with a toy......





Playing in the neighbors hop's vines... oh he loves to scratch up against them in the fall!!!




OLM and Knuckles this past winter, showing off the coverlet the Queen purchased for me for my birthday. yes, I am spoiled! and blessed!




Last fall we got a moon bounce for the family reunion party, we couldn't keep Knuckles out of it! OH my!!! BUT... this is one of the few times, he would get SO excited, he would play bite... wouldn't hurt... but had to keep him out when the little ones were in it... Not a easy task... Hubby and Knuckles having a good time!






So there you have it, how I almost said no to Knuckles, but so glad we didn't. He's one great dog! OLM

17 comments:

Debra said...

How wonderful you rescued Knuckles!
Aren't dogs great?!

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

sounds like he has found himself a wonderful home..he is beautiful..even for a knucklehead..lol..:)give him a pat on the head from me and tell him Tucker says hi.;)er woof.;)

Janet-Olde Crow Primitives said...

Looks like knuckles really loves living with you and your family. He is a great dog. I am glad you rescued him. I have three dogs and they are all rescues, and the two we had before were rescues. They have all been great dogs.
Janet

Farmhouse prims said...

I love Knuckles, he is playful and lovable, my Lilly was just like that. Lucky Knuckles to find such a wonderful home and lucky you, to have such a wonderful dog. I am so glad you recued him!! He was meant for your family!!!

renee said...

Marie,
What a beautiful post on Knuckles! He has LOTS of fans here! See~ you all were to be his family! God ALWAYS has a plan for us! I am glad that you all have him and he has you all!I will have to send him some treats~you know I gotta, I WORK at Fleet Farm for cryin out loud! LOL! We got a FEW pet things!
I always enjoy your posts, they make me both laugh and cry. Take care sweets!
Hugs,
Renee

tamera-country at heart said...

Marie,
You made the right choice, he was meant to be with you guys. Whoever had him probably didn't spend time with him and he had separation anxiety by chewing or stealing things. He probably was tied or caged at his previous home and that's why he was running. Glad to see him happy and healthy.
It is so hard to visit the shelter and see all the sad faces just begging for someone to take them home.
Our dog is also an adoptee. Poor thing was found wondering the streets of the city at 11 weeks old. Don't know where the mom was or who she belonged to. Our son in law picked her up and since they couldn't keep a dog we took her in.
I think it was meant to be.
She is my husband's dog now. Since he is retired, he needed her and she needed him.
God had planned it that way.
Tamera
Country at heart

Karen/My Colonial Home said...

Marie, I can't think of a better home for Knuckles...he was meant to be there that's why no one came to see him...MEANT TO BE YOURS.

What a beautiful story about both your dogs.

Thanks for sharing (even though I had a hidden tear).

Hugs, Karen

Sheila said...

Marie,
that is a beautiful story of Knuckles. I love his name, especially after reading about him I say it suits him! Rescuing definately isn't for everyone but thankfully there are so many who do. My daughter and SIL rescued Hercules, their New Foundland/Lab cross. Beautiful, gentle dog. I might have to do a post about my "grand-dogs" soon. They are special too!
Have a great Sunday!
Blessings,
Sheila

Linda ★ Parker's Paradise said...

I love all the Knuckles stories and pics. We are dog people, for sure.I often wish we were a one dog family but it would be so hard to decide which one it would be. Each of them has their own unique personality, their own needs, their own way of getting your attention. I love each of them for their individuality.
I love how Knuckles loves to play and feels it important to help with all your activities. He is so affectionate---just adorable......
Don't ever stop including him in your posts!
★Linda★

Rugs and Pugs said...

Marie ~
What a great story. Thanks for sharing, but most of all, THANK YOU for rescuing him. You know how I feel about rescuing as my foster girl is sleeping within 2 feet of me. It is so rewarding to allow them to live the life they so deserve.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

TheCrankyCrow said...

Awww...Marie - what a sweet story - and what a sweet dog!! God bless you for giving him a loving and wonderful home ~ Knuckles, I'm sure, rewards you for that with every wag of his tail! Scratch his lil' ol' ears for me! Smiles & Hugs & Happy Sunday ~ Robin

bettyj said...

I absolutely love this story. It broke my heart that no one had looked at him in 2&1/2 weeks, but he was destined to be yours. I too am partial to black dogs and had a black lab once. Loved him. The last 25 years I have had rotties and love them so much. My dog is so not an alpha dog either. I love your Knuckles and his name is so neat. He would just "knuckle" down to what ever his situation was, huh? I am so glad you have him
betty
ps I adore your sign

Beckyjean said...

Hi Marie~

Love the story of Knuckles. He is lucky to have you & I think you're lucky to have found him. Thanks for sharing his story.

Hugs~Becky

Primsue said...

What a delightful Story. Labs are wonderful dogs. Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,
Sue

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

What a great story!
Thanks for sharing.
Blessings
Robin

Wendy @ Ravenwood Whimzies said...

Lovely story! We also have a shelter dog and it's been a challenge, but Jack is a loyal and great dog...really!

Pets to Knuckles!

lilraggedyangie said...

OLM< thanks for making me cry ! you know how we feel bout knuckles and are we ever glad you kept him ! Such a sweet story , and furbabies are like real kids , there is no such thing as too spoiled:0) Love em while you can ! hugs
lil raggedy angie