Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Display Chain # 10 To Share

First, I thought I would share a couple of pictures of a few Holiday things that go up every year. First is these embroidered stocking my mom made. She made them for all of us in my teen years. Since I was the first to marry and have kids, she then did them for hubby & the first grand kids. I am the only one that has one for each in our family. After Steven she couldn't find the stocking anymore, so no more were made. Mine is yellowing since it's the oldest, and well, my parents smoked too.... This is one of the ornies mom gave me 2 years ago, it was mine as a child, always hung above my door during the Holidays.....
Then there are the little elf boxes, as the boys got older I cursed these! LOL! Many years ago when I had a little co-op shop, I only needed to work one day a week. My GF Cindy would watch the boys after school, since our kids always played together... The first Christmas they saw her son's elf box asked about it when they saw him getting candy from it.... So the story goes if you are good for the day, the elves will leave you a piece of candy, each day you are good until Christmas....Of course Steven, who was probably only 5 or 6 at the time says "MS. Cindy would you please make me one?" Not being able to say NO (LOL) she made one for each of the boys that day and explained to me how they work.... As they got older and even to this day, they check for their candy! (nevermind her son does remember to look for it, just mine!) Though as they have gotten older, they might not check each day. Though the minute the tree goes up, they start looking, which causes me to curse, cause I forgot to get candy. Needless to say, I have completely forgotten to start that this year... Alex won't be home for 3 weeks... Steven hasn't said anything yet....Though....

Alex was nice and put his in the middle of the tree where I can get to it.....



Steven on the other hand is my smart ass! (SORRY) and put it up at the top of the tree. Like I am working with that! LOL, So I will add that to my list for tomorrow to get some candy & make Steven move his mailbox to a better spot, or no candy. Funny even at 20 & 22, they still want their traditions.....
I am going to share a recipe I got many years ago from someone hostessing a craft show in their home. they made these, and she even sent me the recipe after the show. I make them every year. The boys love them!
KIT KAT BARS
1 box keebler club crackers
1 cup Butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup milk ( I use skim)
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup chocolate chips
3/4 cup peanut butter
Greased 12x9 pan....
In a pan melt butter, add both sugars, milk and cracker crumbs. Bring to a boil. Boil 5 minutes.
Line the bottom of the pan with about 26 KC crackers. Slowly pour 1/2 of the mixture on top of the crackers, top with another row of crackers. Pour remaining filling on these crackers and then top with a another layer of crackers.
Melt in a double boiler peanut butter & CC until sooth. Pour on the of 3rd row of crackers and chill until set. Cut into small square to serve! YUMMY!
Another big favorite here is the Rachel Ray Fudge! YUMMO!!!
So I have a funny story to go with this one.... For about the last 9 years I have hostessed ornament exchange. Lots of fun, we play a fun little game, have great food, and a new ornie for the tree.... Anyway the first year I made this, the boys and friends still in HS, would come after the party for clean up on the snacks! LOL.... So Alex's good buddy Billy, major sweet tooth, his parents call him "candy boy"... he grabs the leftover fudge, the WHOLE plate and goes to town, there is still A LOT left... he won't stop eating it... I kept saying "Billy you need to stop, this will NOT be pretty tomorrow on the tummy(if you know what I mean)". Doesn't listen eat at least a pound of fudge... Saw Billy couple days later, ask how everything "was"... OH IT WAS BAD, LOL, I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!!! Now he loves the fudge, but to this day I don't think he has eaten it again.... So the moral to the story fudge should only be eaten in small doses!
12 ounces semiwsweet chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips
14 ounce sweetened condensed milk. (save can)
1 tsp pure vanilla
8 ounces walnuts
1/2 cup dried currants (this is the secret currants instead of raisins!)
a little butter to butter the pan
round 8 inch cake pan
So simple, lightly butter pan. In a pan add CC's both kinds, milk, and vanilla and melt over low heat. Wash can, wrap in foil or plastic and butter it. Put it in the middle of the cake pan..... Fudge will be shaped like a wreath. Once the chips are all melted and add walnuts & currants, pour around the can evenly. Let set up. Remove can and pop the fudge out of the pan, serve on a plate cut into small slices. You can also add dried fruit, I don't, I think the currants are enough! enjoy! OLM

10 comments:

Deppen homestead 1862 said...

The fudge & Kit Kats sound just yummy!

Just adore the candy with the boys, they never grow up!

The Stockings so special, just touches my heart!

thanks for sharing!
Teresa

Farmhouse prims said...

I love, love, love your stockings, now I see where you get you talent. They are beautiful.
I love how your boys still like you to put candy in the mailbox. You may just have to keep a step stool near the tree to reach the one. He He
Thanks for sharing your awesome recipes, sounds so yummy. Love you little ornament too.
Thanks for sharing the pictures!!!

renee said...

Beautiful stockings! Love the little elf boxes, isn't it funny how traditons play out tried and true no matter how old you are? LOL!
Thanks for sharing all the recipes!

cottageprims said...

The little elf box is so sweet.I'm gonna get on for the twins.Warm Blessings!~Amy

Cabin Fever Primitives said...

Kit Kat Bars sound good, never saw this recipe before, will have to try it. I love fudge.. so will try that too. Thanks for sharing and to Misi for her inspiring Chains.
Connie

Kattywhompus Primitives said...

How sweet your stockings are. Hubby & I still have ours from the first year we were married and later Gram made one for each boy as they came along. :)

I love the elf boxes...what a great tradition. Is it bad that I laughed at your Steven putting his at the top of the tree? I'm the mother of three sons...LOL

The Kit Kat bars sound yummy. I'm copying that one for my file. Thanks for sharing!

Rhonda

Rugs and Pugs said...

What a great tradition in the elf boxes!
I love that fudge and have made it for quite a few years. I never added the currants and it's still very yummy.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Robyn~Primlish said...

Great recipes! I love that your boys still enjoy their traditions! That means so much!
I love your stockings!

Linda ★ Parker's Paradise said...

great stories--great recipes
love the new header
very festive
★Linda★

Primsue said...

I love your stockings and the traditions you shared. Isn't it great that our kids still want to hang on to our traditions even when they grow up? The recipes sound yummy. Great post. TFS.