Saturday, August 21, 2010

My Yard is a Jungle!

I thought I would share my flower gardens with everyone one last time for the season. I have noticed some of my flowers are starting to show stress and running their course for the summer.

Some of vines have just taken over like never before. I don't know if it's all the heat we had this summer along with it having been so wet. But, my yard is a jungle! There will be A LOT of fall clean up this year! ICK! Not to mention all the weeds, some are as big as the flowers....

Can't help it, it's too hot to be out there pulling them and if I could stand it for awhile, I would be eaten alive the mosquitoes, they are so bad! News is saying it's the worst mosquito outbreak in our area in 20 years. So I have been inside way to much lately.
One might ask what I am getting done? Not much! LOL......

So here is the penny tour, weeds are a bonus! LOL! Here is my bottle tree in the back yard. Morning Glory's reaching over to the stand now.... Took these the other night. These are my Moon Flowers. I wish I would of taken these last week when there was about 20 open one night.
Fun story on these flower... Growing up as a kid in Berkeley IL, a old neighbor gave us these flower pods/seeds for the Moon Flowers. Later when we moved away my mom remembered to take some pods with her for the new house....
After I got married, I took pods and planted them at our first house...Then for awhile, no flowers..none at mom's and we moved in the winter and I didn't think to take any pods...
About 8 years ago, out of the blue mom got flowers, I took the pods that fall and have had them ever since somewhere in my yard. This set of flowers I did not plant. With the addition and everything going on last fall, I did not get any clean up done in the flower beds... So this spring, SURPRISE, flowers came up Right by the new patio and have gone wild!

Now, I should explain if you have never seen them before, moon flowers only open up at night. the flower lasts for one night, then the flower drops off and creates a thorny pod of seeds for the next year... I probably have 100 pods on the branches now. Some are already opening up and dropping seeds... Next year they will be transplanted to a different part of the yard...


close up of 3 of the flowers starting to open up....
Morning Glory's gone wild.....



More Morning Glory's growing up the down spout.. Never have had that happen before....

Growing into the Black eyed Susan's, they are not to happy!


Then this... sweet annie growing out front in my paver bricks.... It's the only plant I got this year, so I let it go...



Inpatients are starting to turn yellow, they are almost spent! It will be perfect timing for Mums!

Thanks for taking a peek and have a great evening! OLM

5 comments:

Yvonne Cormier said...

Oh I just loved looking at your garden... your flowers are still soooo nice!! Mine are at the end of their cycle for this year.. Pumkins and mums will be out in a couple of weeks or so....

Rugs and Pugs said...

OLM ~
Your gardens still look great! Lucky you to have gotten lots of rain. Here on Ohio's north coast, we got our first rain in weeks! The grass is so brown and crunchy. I've been watering the flowers for weeks. I'm afraid to get my next water bill!
I just love your bottle tree with all blue bottles. I have mostly green bottles. I guess I need to develop a taste for wine in blue bottles...lol!
Thank you for sharing!
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

Linda said...

LOVE the moon flowers, just wondering if you would sell me some of the seeds. They are so hard to find here in PA. you can email me
brelin4@embarqmail.com

Robin said...

Love your garden, ours played out a long time ago. No rain really hurts ones garden. Plus I guess I really don't have a green thumb! Enjoy your day. Blessings (millstonemercantile)

Farmhouse prims said...

Beautiful!!! I would say you have a green thumb!!!