Sunday, May 30, 2010

Happy Memorial Day


As we all dash off to the first BBQ of the season with friends and family, I thought I would share a photo that hangs in our hallway. My hubby is a Vet and retired military. He was part of the first volunteer group that went over to the Mideast during the First gulf war. Actually right before the war started. Alex and Steven were 2 1/2 and 5 months at the time. I was lucky he was only gone 1 month. The night he came home I took Alex with me to the base to pick him up, it was about 3am. I never saw this photo taken. I don't even remember him being given the flag. Though some photos really speak a thousand words and I feel this is one of them. It was picked up the AP and printed on many front pages of newspapers across the US. We knew nothing of this until reporter's started calling the next day. We were like "what photo are you talking about?" We had to go get a newspaper! Now many years later Alex is now 22 studying to became a Police Officer and already at 22 he had lost 2 friends to this current war. So as we enjoy the day and we should, just take a moment to remember. OLM

1 comment:

Rugs and Pugs said...

What a wonderful photo. Thank you so much for sharing!
Happy Memorial Day to you and your loved ones.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren